I figured that I would start out the new year with the hope of writing a bit more. Even as I write that sentence I am wondering how on earth I will have enough time to think about it, let alone actually sit down to do it…but we try.
Just a quick review of 2010:
- Everything this year is measured in time around “the accident“. My sister, her husband and their three children were in a near fatal accident on May 26th. It took 90 minutes to extract the adults from the car that had gone full freeway speed into the back of a parked semi truck. For those who know of the “golden hour”, they were not expected to make it. My BIL was airlifted to the hospital while my sister was taken by ambulance. My nieces and nephew all suffered broken bones and 4 out of the 5 of them had surgeries. I was first to the hospital and it was one of the hardest things I have ever been through. Still. Miraculously, they all did survive, though not without some lasting effects in each of them, some physical, and some not so physical.
- We replaced every appliance in our entire house this year, starting before the accident, continuing through that time and finally ending some time after. Dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer, mixer and blender. It was a killer year for appliances…
- My kids all turned odd numbers this year. 9, 7, 5 and 5. It is shocking to no longer have babies. If you are curious, we are physically done having children, but there is no telling what God has planned for our family. Ask me sometime about the conversation we all had in the car this week.
- My buyer’s club of real foods from real farmers doubled in size when our local natural food store closed. Still not sure how I feel about the extra work, but am truly enjoying the growth of community.
- I started working on the beginnings of our city’s first community garden with a member of the buyer’s club. We are hopeful that it will be off the ground, (or in the ground rather), this year. I can’t wait to see the community that develops from that!
Now today is a new day. We are now in a new year. I have made no resolutions and no plans or promises. I can hope that I will be back to compose again soon. And I can hope that you all will join me.
What are your plans/resolutions for this year?